National School Breakfast Week is here!
There are many benefits of eating a healthy breakfast everyday. Studies have found that:
- Skipping breakfast and experiencing hunger hinder children’s learning ability
- School breakfast improves students’ academic performance
- Eating breakfast at school can improve children’s nutrition and can help to prevent obesity
- School breakfasts can decrease the risk of food insecurity
National School Breakfast Week is a great way to promote your school breakfast program! Whether your school breakfast model is breakfast in the cafeteria, grab and go, or breakfast in the classroom, here are some events this week sponsored by the Child Nutrition Outreach Program (CNOP) that promote school breakfast:
- Monday, March 2: 2015 Annual School Breakfast Video Contest launch. Submissions will be accepted from March 2 – April 3, 2015. Congratulations to students at the Landmark School in Beverly, Easthampton High School, and Sharon High School for their winning videos in 2014!
- Wednesday, March 4, 10:00 – 11:00 am EST: Cafeteria Managers Conference Call. The Child Nutrition Outreach Program will host a conference call, to hear from and talk with five Massachusetts school cafeteria managers who work with different breakfast models.
- Thursday, March 5: School Breakfast Red Carpet Event- CNOP will celebrate National School Breakfast Week at Medford High School. The event will feature remarks from regional, state, and local officials, and a premiere screening of CNOP’s school breakfast promotional video, “Everything Starts with School Breakfast.”
Let CNOP know why you are serving school breakfast by using the hashtag #schoolbreakfast and tweeting @ChildNutri.