New wellness policy requirements include nutrition promotion as a key component of policies. The primary goal of the "Nutrition Promotion" piece of the wellness policy is to encourage healthy eating among all members of the school community. This may be achieved by:
- marketing healthy foods sold at school in fun and creative ways
- raising awareness about other nutrition initiatives
- incorporating nutrition into all areas of curriculum (math, science, language, etc.)
- expanding nutrition messages and education beyond the classroom
- using the morning announcements or school newspaper to share nutrition information
- partnering with Foodservice to pick a theme of the week — i.e. "Crazy Cranberry Week"
Check out our "Healthy Kids Better Students" Newsletter focusing on Nutrition Promotion.
For more resources on marketing and nutrition promotion, visit the Nutrition Promotion section on our Tools and Ideas page.