Nutrition, Education & Wellness:
Leadership Institute for Excellence
The John C. Stalker Institute of Food and Nutrition and the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education believe that strong leaders are essential to the success of school nutrition programs in today's ever-changing and challenging school and nutrition environment. NEW LIFE: Nutrition, Education & Wellness: Leadership Institute For Excellence, originally designed in 2006, returns in 2015 to address the growing demands on school nutrition professionals.
The first two sessions of NEW LIFE are scheduled for April 29 and June 11 from 8:00 - 3:30 pm at Framingham State University. The schedule for the 2015-16 school year will be available soon.
NEW LIFE is a seven-session knowledge and skill-building program designed to change the way school nutrition directors think and act as leaders. The institute runs from April 2015 through June 2016. Utilizing online discussions and networking combined with bi-monthly on site meetings, you will gain a better understanding of how to advance your leadership skills to improve the nutrition culture within your school district. NEW LIFE was originally designed to enhance and develop the leadership skills necessary to sustain the momentum of school wellness initiatives. A plethora of new challenges have emerged requiring your attention as you continue to operate a self-supporting school nutrition program. NEW LIFE will advance your knowledge and leadership skills, allowing you to achieve success with this multitude of demands.
Applications to NEW LIFE are now closed.
NEW LIFE is available to school nutrition directors working in Massachusetts schools. Assistant school nutrition directors and managers may apply with a letter of support from their school nutrition director.
- Letter of Application: – In 1000 words or less,
provide a brief description of your experience and interest in leadership
and address the following questions:
- What is your experience in school nutrition?
- What does leadership mean to you?
- What local or state leadership positions have you held and what has been your involvement in the district's wellness policy?
- Why do you want to be considered for this leadership institute?
- What are your personal and professional expectations of the institute?
- Letters of Recommendation: – Obtain a letter of recommendation from your district's Superintendent and upload along with your online application. Assistant directors and managers applying will also need a letter of recommendation from their school nutrition director.
Program cost is $500, due upon acceptance into NEW LIFE. Checks are payable to The John Stalker Institute at Framingham State University. There is no cost to complete a NEW LIFE application.
- Lead Simply...Model.Connect.Involve
- Communication and Team Building
- Marketing and Conflict Resolution
- Improving the School Nutrition and Wellness Environment
- Workplace Diversity
- Time Management
- Public Speaking and Professional Presentations