On March 17th, JSI offered the first of two opportunities for Spanish-speaking K-12 school staff to attend a Virtual Food Allergies Workshop in Spanish. JSI Instructor and Registered Dietitian Christanne Harrison, MPH, RD, presented this virtual workshop to nearly 50 attendees from across the state. The workshop provided an interactive learning environment, with resources on how to identify allergens on food labels, life-saving warning signs and operating safely under COVID-19 guidelines.
Key objectives for this workshop involved:
- Differentiating between a food allergy and a food intolerance
- Discussing the top 8 food allergens
- Recognizing food allergy symptoms
- How to read food labels to identify food allergens
- Identifying allergen-free menu substitutions
- Describing ways to avoid cross-contact at school
- Ways to safely provide allergen-free meals during COVID-19
- Discussing strategies to create an allergy safe environment at school
- Identifying steps in an Emergency Response Plan
To find out more about Food Allergies & Intolerances , JSI has even more resources to understand special nutrition and health care needs of children to manage food allergies and intolerances in the school food environment available.
JSI will also be offering its second Virtual Food Allergies Workshop in Spanish on April 14th at 10:30 am at NO COST.