Professional Development for School Nutrition
The John C. Stalker Institute (JSI) of Food and Nutrition at Framingham State University is serving up a healthy selection of professional development and resources designed for Massachusetts school nutrition professionals. Register for professional development through JSI and join the dedicated school nutrition professionals working throughout Massachusetts to improve the nutrition, food and wellness environments in our schools. Take advantage of all that JSI has to offer.
Workshops To Go
Bring school nutrition training to your school with one of our Workshops To Go. Each 2-hour workshop is economically priced at $299 for a minimum of 15 participants. Each 3-hour culinary workshop is economically priced at $399 for a minimum of 15 participants/ maximum of 20 participants.
Online Professional Development
Enjoy the convenience of 24/7 access to high quality professional development either with JSI online courses or graduate courses through Framingham State University's 4 week graduate courses.
Regional Professional Development
John C. Stalker Institute of Food and Nutrition offers regional professional development opportunities for school nutrition staff and managers.
- August 2017: Nuts & Bolts of School Nutrition Programs
- August 2017: Healthy Cuisine for Kids
- May 2018: Healthy Kids, Healthy Programs 2-day Summit
Leadership and Management Development
JSI offers these exceptional professional development opportunities for school nutrition directors and managers:
- Management Institute – a three-day institute designed especially for Massachusetts school nutrition managers covering leadership, financial management, personnel management, communication, marketing and nutrition.
- Certificate in Excellence – an undergraduate certificate program designed for school nutrition directors as well as assistant directors and managers on a career path to become a director in school nutrition programs in Massachusetts and the USDA's New England region.
Cancellation Policy: Payment in full is expected for trainings cancelled without a 2-week written email notice. Credit for prepaid JSI trainings will be issued only if written cancellation notice is emailed 2 weeks prior to training date.
Contact your chapter delegate for locations and dates of the following:
Learn the difference between food allergies and food
intolerances, foods that commonly cause allergies,
how to read labels for potential allergic ingredients,
and other strategies to manage food allergies in
your school. This workshop is recognized by ESE
and MDPH as acceptable training required in the
Allergen Awareness Act, M.G.L.c.140, § 6B.
Suggested Learning Codes: 1160
Meal Participation - Give it a Boost!
Discover ways to give school meal participation a
boost with engaging customer service, a positive
lunchroom experience, as well as appealing and
flavorful foods and more. Learn how potential
pitfalls can be turned into action steps for
Suggested Learning Codes: 4130, 4160