In 2014, the USDA released updated rules for school nutrition professionals to emphasize minimum national professional standards and training requirements. If you’re looking for an opportunity to advance your education, The John C. Stalker Institute of Food and Nutrition (JSI) at Framingham State University (FSU) offers the Certificate in Excellence in School Nutrition Program which is a state-recognized professional development program that aims to increase the knowledge and skills of directors and senior management in school nutrition programs.
This program includes five undergraduate courses offered through FSU and blends face-to-face weekend classes with online conference sessions to meet the needs of a working professional. The goals of this Certificate Program are to help school nutrition professionals:
- Apply the changing nutrition standards to improve the school nutrition environment
- Meet the financial challenges of a self-supporting school nutrition program
- Evaluate and implement the emerging trends in school nutrition programs
- Lead the school district in the First Lady’s Let’s Move initiative and join the USDA Healthier US School Challenge
The course Computer Applications in School Food Services is currently underway this semester. This class covers the role of technology and how to maximize its use in child nutrition programs and school food services. Students select a type of technology and identify how it can be applied to their school lunch programs which promotes real-life application for all coursework.
All courses that are included within The Certificate in Excellence program include:
- NUTR 616 Nutrition and Child Nutrition Programs
- NUTR 620 Computer Applications in School Food Services
- NUTR 617 Food Service Systems in Child Nutrition Programs
- NUTR 618 Management of Child Nutrition Programs
- NUTR 619 Educational Theory and Applications for School Nutrition Professionals
To learn more about this program, please visit the JSI website. If you’re interested in The Certificate in Excellence program, complete the pre-registration form by December 16, 2016 at www.johnstalkerinstitute.org/cert/.